Saturday, January 6, 2007

If I could change one thing...

Several months ago the daughter of a good friend asked him the question, "If you could change one thing about the world, what would you change?" He later brought the same question to me.

You would think that an answer would be easy to find. Just think of the worst thing going on in the world right now and eliminate it. But then that seems too selfish. We would only be making a difference in the present and future. What if we could go back and change something in the past that would have spared countless numbers of people their lives and happiness? That would be ideal--something like World War II or Vietnam. Or even further back to the cruelty of the middle ages and the tyrannical monarchs before. The typical "world peace" answer. Other ideas of ridding the world of poverty, war, hunger, and all the pain that comes with it went through my mind.

I know the presence of Christ is the source of true peace so I tried to think of ways to bring the Truth to people in an elaborate, world-reaching way. I had ideas of more money for missions, more government officials with faith in God. I found myself seeing a modern day crusade into all the world. In this I thought I might find my answer. Then I considered what I might be able to altar in the circumstances surrounding the life of Christ to make His message more effective and in turn change all the events of human history since His death. Now this would be the ultimate answer. Change one thing and the world would be a completely different place. But as I went deeper I soon found myself realizing the simple truth that God is all-powerful and all-knowing and that if it was needful for the world and for our mortal and eternal lives, He would have already done it. In fact He did all that was needful when He sent Christ.

The fact is that all the terrible things that have happened have taken place because Christ has not been allowed to do His work of new creation through out the world. The crusade is taking place as we speak, but few realize it so few fight. Peace and love is conquering hate and war, but only were there are those so full of Love itself they cannot be stopped. I came to the somber conclusion that there is only one thing in the world to change and the question isn't "If I could" but rather "Will I" change... MYSELF.

1 comment:

Unnamed Author. said...

When I first began to read your entry my heart screamed, "The one thing I would want to change is for all of us to believe Christ when He says He loves us, and that in believing and receiving that Love we all would love each other and see each other the way God Loves and sees us." By the end I had to agree with you. God's plan is perfect, even though we don't understand it. I've only been given the choice to change my own heart. Hopefully God will use it to affect change in someone elses.